Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Fates Conspire and a Letter to Cork

I had planned a brilliant gallivanting journey all the way to Belfast for this weekend. It was going to include scenery, trains, old boats, and new friends, all of which are on my list top ten favorite things.

And then! O, alackaday, tragedy struck with the double-edged sword of a sudden fever and a blizzard between Dublin and Belfast, landing me in a comatose state unable to swallow and Iarnród Éireann unable to  run its trains to the North on time. Therefore I spent the weekend slowly puttering around my apartment, forcing liquids down my throat and trembling meekly. Very little gallivanting was had, but I did produce this thing here, in response to complaints that I don't write about Cork enough.

(If you do not like overblown silly melodramatic prose, this is not for you):







Ahem.


To Cork (An Apostrophic and Apologetic Love Letter):

My dear city,

 I’ve been remiss; I’ve spent too many words extolling the virtues of London and Dublin and Paris and Rome, of Kerry and Tipperary and Derry/Londonderry, with little regard for your feelings. While you’ve treated me so well these past few months I have squandered my praise on the gaudy lights of Piccadilly and the library at Trinity without taking pause to make my obeisance to you, the Rebel City, the People’s Republic of Cork, like.

Sure we’ve had our differences, like that time when you were frigid and kicked up a wind that blew me over when I was trying to meet a friend at the bus station. There was traffic and rain in gusts and we missed our bus and if we hadn’t been bound for free whiskey at the Jameson factory I would have feared for my blood pressure. There’ve been the many nights I’ve strolled home from the pubs, shoulder to shoulder with my friends against your North Atlantic chill, loudly voicing our complaints against your lack of social diversion. And then, I’m sorry to say, there’ve been my censures against your messy streets, your janky apartments, your pebble-dash and pink-stucco houses, water damaged near the river from that flood a few years back.

But that’s unjust of me. I am an ingrate. What I really must say is this:

Cork, I love you. Is breá liom tú, Corcaigh, as we learned yesterday in my Irish class.

I love how I can navigate by belfries here. Shandon Tower and Saints Mary’s and Anne’s lie to the North. Saint Vincent’s peers down from Sunday’s Well at Saint Finbarr’s to the South. Holy Trinity lies to the East and one anonymous spire, presumed to be Catholic, is used as a compass needle when picking my way home. The space between these towers contains my life here in Cork as well as a whole host of other churches that spring out from the city quite suddenly, stately surprises concealed by shops and flats and boarded-up construction sites.

I love living between the two forks of the Lee, waking up every morning to clear grey light and knowing that I’m on an island in an island, off the coast of another island. I love the bridges that extend from said island to the far banks of the Lee, bridges kissed by the river’s high tides and left dry by its lows. Back in America I live in the desert. We don’t have big rivers or tides or floods and we certainly don’t have an ocean nearby to cause them. I am perennially enchanted by the steady sweep of the Lee and can rarely contain my excitement when a stiff wind causes the whitecaps to flow backwards, upstream, towards Inniscarra and Macroom and places far to the interior.

I love to walk down Saint Patrick’s street and hear voices speaking in Irish, Chinese, French, and Spanish, as well as every breed of English one might hope to encounter. I love the raucous shouting: Ey gurl, how are ya? and the man crying Echo! every twenty seconds, regular as you please. Sirens wail and people laugh and a car blows by blasting a club song that makes me want to dance. At night it mostly lulls to a bubbling laugh or two, and I can hear individual footsteps clattering up and down the street.

I can’t say I love your dark side but I appreciate it. Fistfights in the street, beggars huddled on the quay, empty naggans of Huzzar thrown through an abandoned window in the sketchier parts of town all remind me to look alive and be thankful for my four mildewed walls and age-specked ceiling that keep out the rain. There’s the convent in Sunday’s Well that used to house a Magdalene laundry, a convent whose windows I can pick out leaning out my balcony. I once saw a pair of bank robbers go tearing away from the AIB on North Main street, with Garda vans in hot pursuit. A man in a car once tried to entice me into getting into the passenger side on my way to school. But all of that can be taken as impermanent and the sight of the sun sparking off the blue domes of Saint Francis’s is a reminder that these things too shall pass.

I didn’t realize until I took my first extended ramble away from Ireland just how much I could miss ye, Cork. There has never been a sight more welcome than the rush of green fields and scattered clouds as my plane touched down on Irish soil after my first week away, and the familiar path from the bus station to my doorstep felt like second nature going home along the quays. I don’t like to think about what I’ll be feeling in a few months when I see those fields and clouds again from above, this time headed to Heathrow and then across the gray Atlantic to the severe basalt crags and parched expanse of my part of America.

The past few months have been a collection of pleasant memories strung together by train tracks and handshakes, scented with Barry’s tea, incense, the bakeries at the English market, riverside plants, and the wool of a new Aran sweater. It’s been lit with a soft Irish sun, strobe lights, and the flickering of votive candles. None of these things can be scrawled on a postcard or captured in a letter, but they’re the things I wish I could share with the old folks at home. They are, dear city, what I like most about you.

I should now apologize, Cork, for grievously injuring your pride by egregious use of the word “Corkonian.” I thought it was a legitimate way to describe all things that are of or pertaining to you, but late one night in a chip shop the truth was revealed by a pointy-faced lad with a cone of sweet chili chips. He recognized the obvious American nature of my friends and me by our demure hemlines and ineptitude with euro coins. After the usual pleasantries, he sneered at us “I suppose you say things here are Corkonian, like,” and we, with a sudden dread, answered the affirmative. “That’s stupid,” he said. “Next time say ‘Corker.’” I don’t know, O city mine, whether the rude lad with the sweet chili chips was talking shite or if I’ve really sounded like a ninny describing things as Corkonian these many months and more.

Living in Cork, between the steeples, I can hold my head high knowing that each morning I walk to school past the old, crumbling home of eminent mathematician George Boole. I can follow the same streets as did Yorkists and Anti-Treaty revolutionaries, obstinate to the last, and I can imagine this gorgeous city burned by Black and Tans. This is where MacCurtain was shot and where McSwiney governed before he was taken away to Brixton to die on hunger strike. I can sit in a café near Mardyke and know that, in Joyce’s A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, Stephen Dedalus passed this way when the trees were blooming just as they are now. His father, after all, went to UCC.

I love you, Cork, like the bundled old woman huddled on the red-and-gold bridge loves the few passersby that toss a handful of euro into her Styrofoam cup. She mumbles bless you, bless you, God bless you and blows me a kiss as I hurry off to class, feeling guilty and privileged and grossly robust. It’s when you, Cork, toss a few coins my way- the sun glancing off the Lee, the perfect reel drifting out of a pub, a chance encounter with a stately gray heron in the middle of South Main at four in the morning- that I remember to shower you with blessings and with kisses. Otherwise I’m an unappreciative sod, who hardly deserves to call these cobbled streets and flashing crosswalk signs her own.

I remain, Cork, ever your humble servant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment