Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Off We Went to London Town


Much time has gone by between last post and this! Where have I been, you may ask?


Indeed, Jimmy. Indeed.

I have (or, rather, had) gone to England.

This harebrained scheme grew out of a late-night facebook conversation with my dear friend Sarah, who came to visit me for twelve whole days over the past couple of weeks. We were plotting our itinerary for said twelve days when I made mention of the Sherlock Holmes museum in London (both of us are pitifully fanatical about Sherlock Holmes) and no more than an hour later I had plane tickets booked, hostels in the queue, and was preparing for five days of tally ho, jolly good show Britishness.

Since a mere five days to absorb all that one of the world’s capitols has to offer is not what I would call ample time, we tried our best to cram ALL THE THINGS into our trip with limited success. While we accomplished much and saw enough to leave me awestruck, there’s so much to tell that I can only do so effectively by listing my top ten London observations.
 



They are as follows:

1.      One thing that is ubiquitous in London is history- ergo, I was pretty much having a field day the whole time. We made it to any number of museums and galleries and saw dozens more from the outside. Just looking at the buildings in almost every part of London proper gave me the gaping gasps in a big way, as almost every one is covered with columns, engraving, loggias and porticoes that tickle my love of grand architecture. There is (again) a fabulous mix of stately old palaces and offices of state alongside such minimalist wonders as the glass-plated Gherkin and Shard skyscrapers. Old churches next to modern apartment complexes- delightful. You can bet your britches that every single prominent house, street, church, or palace has been written about by some notable person. Tower Bridge and the Tower of London were our most touristy outings of a historical nature. The Bridge was breathtaking, and did not fall down. 
Wouldn't be the Tower of London without fatty crows.
      The Tower, however, was downright disappointing, for its historical nature was almost entirely obliterated by the droves of tourists ambling through and the concessions made to suit them. One easily forgets that this Tower was home to scores of prisoners, the site of various executions and political intrigues, when these facts are presented in terms befitting a class of second graders and not a pair of academic, empirically-inclined twenty-somethings. The Sherlock Holmes museum was, alas, much the same. We expected an informative homage to the greatest serialized adventure of all time and instead were greeted by a Victorian house populated by frightening mannequins and the presumed possessions of two Victorian bachelors. The museum crowded tableaux of Sherlock’s greatest hits (usually villains in death throes) into rooms already full of objects that might have belonged to the Great Detective, and offered little to no fascination for two passionate Sherlockians. The best parts were the gift shop (which was quite breathtaking, actually) and the handsome constable man who took tickets at the door. His accent was impeccable.  
Truly shameless


2.      Something that the city of London pioneered and still does well by today are its parks. 

      They are positively lovely and afford the perfect place to have a sit and drink Ribenas after a long walk, or further take a constitutional walk, or hunt out cool statues hidden in the trees, or people-watch. I got to see Regent’s and Hyde park and Kensington Gardens, all of which were shown off particularly well by the splendid weather that smiled down upon our visit. They are all brilliant places to take a rest from the rush of the rest of London, and much appreciated by this weary traveler.


3.      One awesome highlight of this trip was meeting my wonderful third cousin Ami, who Sarah and I met for lunch and cupcakes in Covent garden. She not only gave us some welcome pointers for the London experience but also gave me exceedingly wise advice on studying abroad- notably, take risks! You, blog readers, must now hold me to this vow of risk-taking bold-making adventure. 






4.      My favorite attraction in all of London was the National Gallery, which was so nice we saw it twice. Located in Trafalgar square and fronted by a gorgeous row of Corinthian columns (my favorites), it’s the gallery that houses pretty much every famous painting you might care to think of (except those in the Louvre, which is most of them, but I digress. Simply put, if it’s old and famous and not in the Louvre, or in Florence, it’s most likely in the National Gallery). Monet’s Waterlillies? Got it. Van Eyck’s The Arnolfini Wedding? Check. Da Vinci’s Virgin of the Rocks? Yup. Madonnas by just about everybody who ever got paid to hold a paintbrush? Uh-huh. It’s got Holbein, Hogarth, and Stubbs and his ridiculous life-size horse swag portrait. My favorite was the entire room devoted to spectacular Turners, Gainsboroughs, and Constables, all landscapes painted on a grand scale. My favorite happens to be the Fighting Temeraire, for obvious reasons (other than the awe-inspiring quality of the light. Don’t get me started on that. I loaded up with a preposterous amount of Fighting Temeraire swag from the gift shop). Consequently, in the latest James Bond movie (Skyfall!), which we happened to see in Leicester square to rest our weary feet, Bond receives his gadgets from Q during a stealthy handoff in front of- you guessed it- the Fighting Temeraire. They even have a barbed discussion of its merits. At the time of our Skyfall-watching, I had literally been ogling that same painting no more than two hours before.


I am James Bond.

  
5.      This being London, there was a ridiculous amount of shopping to be had. We got to experience both highs (see: Harrod’s) and lows (Portobello Road!) of buying and selling and, while I can count on one hand the number of things I bought, I will freely admit to loving the experience of it all. Usually I’m about as tightfisted as a Puritan spinster, but haggling with a snaggletoothed peddler of antique jewelry in Notting Hill or being waited upon like a duchess by the assistants in Harrod’s just makes shopping so much better. Furthermore, London really knows how to put on a show; its window displays and interior store design alone blow every other place to buy things out of the water.

6.      I have had limited experience with mass public transit in my young life, and London marked my first time singlehandedly navigating a subway. Despite some rough patches locating the far-flung locality of Finsbury Park, I eventually got the hang of the city’s network of tubes and buses, and enjoyed the challenge of finding my way from one end of London to the other on a budget. Travel passes, it should be noted, are indispensible.
So majestic
7.      In Cork, there’s at least one pub on every corner. The London equivalent of Corkonian pubs are monuments. The things are every bloomin’ where. 

At first I was extremely excited whenever I saw a monument and photographed it at length, but soon discovered that they’re a dime a dozen. Heck, even George Washington, great enemy of the British crown, has a statue on St. Martin’s place. This being said, when one monument stands out among the rest, you know that it’s special. Take Trafalgar square, which is one massive memorial to the incomparable Vice Admiral Horatio, Lord Nelson. The man revolutionized naval warfare and died an epic death for his country, and this country has, in eternal thanks, placed him on a pillar to nobly survey the land he saved from French invasion (if you read the sensationalist sources). This pillar is surrounded by iron friezes of his most dashing moments, and these moments are surrounded by massive metal lions, which guard an even more massive fountain. THAT, my friends, is a monument.  

"With Nelson, you felt your heart glow" NAME THAT MOVIE

8.      London is such a prominent facet of popular and cultured culture that it gave me pleasant thrills to recognize certain buildings, streets, and squares that crop up everywhere from the painfully nineties music videos played nonstop in the hostel’s common room to my favorite books by G.K. Chesterton. Around every corner was something familiar, even though it was my first time getting anywhere near London town, and it was immensely gratifying to be able to recognize places where I had been myself during and after the trip. London is such a fixture of modern life that it was almost familiar in spite of its twisty streets and immense network of buses and trains and taxis. Tres cool.  

9.      While it was not one of the most fascinating bits of London we saw, I will put in a good word for the Arsenal Tavern Hostel and, by association, hostels in general. It was my first time staying at such a place of repose, and despite its faults I give this hostel a solid recommendation. The staff was above and beyond the necessary level of friendliness, most of the other tenants were lovely people, and sleeping in a shared dorm wasn’t bad at all- in fact, most everything about the hostel reminded me (somewhat comfortingly) of a fraternity house. I have now had a solid four nights’ rest in a hostel setting and have not only lived to tell the tale but am quite ready to do it again. Our part of town (Finsbury park/Arsenal) was regrettably seedy, but there is a time and a place for the underbelly and this was apparently it.

10.  I could quote at you with passages from any number of wise sources proclaiming that travel is the most effective of panaceas (<you thought that word was ‘Pancreas’ when you first read it, didn’t you?), that experiencing the new and the fresh and the diverse is a balm for the soul and clear lens for the eyes. I could do this, but I won’t, and instead breathe a big sigh (having nearly finished this verbose summary of events) and say this: London was overwhelmingly splendid. Our five-ish days provided just the right amount of crowds, monuments, tubes, and spectacular sights to make this girl a London fan. I’m already making plans for a return trip in April!


Other random highlights are as follows:
- Having lunch in a crypt, as seen above.

- Actually finding a memorial to the souls of a thousand drowned sailors (or twenty-four thousand, in this case, as seen below), hearkening back to last post's experience of "Undertow:"

        -Being told by the hostel front desk man that I look English and act British-Canadian (?)
       (of all the random nationalities to be mistaken for, I really can't fathom where this one came from)
 
- Seeing the City (capitalized) with an awesome friend and being photographed by random passersby

- And, lastly, experiencing so many people and cultures and languages and manners of walking all over the sidewalk and on both sides of staircases and food and sight and sounds and sdf;hga;gh'aishf'h I'm done. Can't write no more on London. 


Until next post then, I remain,
You humble servant,

KB  

No comments:

Post a Comment