Friday, January 4, 2013

In Sum


I officially suck at blogging, and I haven’t even started yet.

I had half a page of elegant prose (this is a lie) sitting on my computer ever since I got it all set up in my apartment bedroom (which is, by the way, ridiculously huge. Sometimes I roll around on the floor and make floor angels. Or maybe I’m just used to sharing my quarters with five other people) but had to keep changing the dates and times since I haven’t had time to put down in writing yet just how much of everything I’ve experienced thus far.

SO, rather late in the third night or early in the fourth day of IRELAND 2013, I give you a brief summary, bulleted for parsimony.

1.      I did not die on the plane. It was, in fact, lovely, and I am permanently impressed by vegetarian plane food. They gave me curry. Mm-hmm.
And there were many clouds

2.      We flew over the Southern tip of Greenland. The Southern tip of Greenland. And then, circling Heathrow thrice due to traffic, I saw such landmarks as Buckingham Palace, the London Eye, Hyde Park, Wembley Stadium, London Bridge, Piccadilly Circus, and Trafalgar Square not once, not twice, but thrice. I felt extremely accomplished and all I had to do was sit there.
3.      I passed out until we hit Irish soil at the Cork airport, and woke up to find myself in a vaguely sunny Ireland. Of course it began misting post-haste, but I can’t wait for the next clear day.
4.      I was neither detained nor deported by immigration
5.      Made it to the apartment. I have two wonderful and charming roommates and a fourth one who is either invisible or an Irish student who will be joining us on Sunday.
6.      Either way, my room has a floor-to ceiling window and a leeeeetle tiny balcony. Also it is permanently frosty in there, which makes me feel Spartan. I enjoy feeling Spartan.
7.      Pubs.
8.   We took a walk ‘round Cork to obtain provisions, see the city, acquire phones and/or SIM cards, and climb to the top of Shandon belfry yesterday. It looked like this: 

9.      And then today was orientation, which involved much brogue-ing and sightseeing and general edumacation on Corkonian subjects. Needless to say I’m psyched to start classes on Monday, and am currently trying to fit together a schedule to awe the ages.

And THAT, good sir and/or madam, has been my past three days in Cork. Now it is time to brave the MIRA, our frigid shower-type apparatus, which also makes me feel Spartan.

But as I said before, I like feeling Spartan.

Until we next speak,

K.B.

No comments:

Post a Comment